Nyumba Kumi FAQs
1. What is Nyumba 10 Security initiative?
It is a Homeland Security system intended to create National Security Awareness amongst citizens from grassroots level.
- As a Kenya citizen you are most welcome to play your part in enhancing your own security.
- Your Personal Security and National Security is the responsibility of all of us as Citizens and also our Government.
- Each one of us has a responsibility and part to play to safeguard our Personal and National Security.
- It is essential to understand this fully.
- One most important thing is to be aware andbe alert of your part at all times.
2. Does it mean Nyumba Kumi will involve every ten households in Kenya?
No, Nyumba Kumi is a concept and not a number.
- The concept Nyumba Kumi, though being a Kiswahili phrase for “ten households” is not “rigidly” an initiative to be based on a specific number of households. The number of households clustered should not be imposed, fixed or limited by external forces but determined by shared aspirations.
The concept will be built around Cohesive units.
- The Nyumba Kumi clusters will be cohesive units coalesced on pursuit of similar goals and objectives.
Further it will comprise Unique clusters
- Every cluster of households will be unique on its own in terms of number of households,geographical size and composition of membership based on population density, period, culture, demography, locality etc.
- The variations will be challenge-based and therefore making the cluster as flexible as possible. Specific challenges will define the outlook objectives and management of the cluster.
Nyumba Kumi is also be Problem and solution-based
- Clusters of household will be driven by the need(s) the households are facing and the common solution that the households aspire to achieve beyond strict security issues.
- The well-being of members in the cluster will be the ultimate aspiration.
- Some clusters may be brought together by the need to eradicate a social menace in their neighbourhood, for instance noise and other form of pollution, while others may be clustered along a common water point to address sharing of water resources etc.
- The clusters will provide the platform for resource-sharing and related disputes currently tearing some communities apart.
- More importantly, the clusters will also be ideal economic empowering units, which will be able to generate ideas and proposals for commercial and industrial projects that can be funded by the various public financing funds like Uwezo, Youth Fund, Women's Fund or Banks. It will be easier for the clusters to provide the expertise for commercial or donor-funded projects to succeed owing to their diversity of expertise and experience.
- That will enable the clusters to establish commercial and industrial projects that can add value to agricultural, minerals or other natural endowment within the clusters.
3. What other factors will determine Nyumba 10?
- Nyumba Kumi will promote Democratic governance.
- Highly consultative units whose decision making processes subscribes to democratic ideals will be encouraged.
- The views of the majority will take precedence but at the same time the wishes of the minority are listened to and appreciated.
- Nyumba Kumi will be Perpetual in existence
- The clusters existence will be perpetual in that despite changes in leadership, variations in challenges faced at any given time among other changes, the Nyumba Kumi concept will be tied to the community’s existence.
- Nyumba Kumi will Not be invasive of personal privacy
- Though localized and unified in approach, the Nyumba Kumi initiative will not be invasive of individual privacy rights.
- Group rights start where individual rights end and vice versa.
- Furthermore Nyumba Kumi will be Voluntary membership
- Recognizes constitutional provisions on a right to join or not join an organization as per one’s choice.
- Despite being localized in nature, Nyumba Kumi initiative will not compel residents within a specific area in question to be members.
- Nyumba Kumi will be Self-sustaining
- Clusters will develop and promote group sustainability without any direct financial hand-out expectations from government.
- The government will not financially facilitate the activities of the cluster except in areas of security equipment in line with Homeland Security civic awareness policy.
- The clusters will be encouraged to form income generating projects and businesses which can be funded by Uwezo, Youth and Women Funds, among others, on merit.
- Nyumba Kumi will foster Political neutrality
- Clusters will remain politically neutral as political activities and goals are excluded from Nyumba Kumi ideals. That will enable members of different political persuasions to belong to a cluster the same way people of different religions live together in rural or urban communities of Kenya.
4. How will Nyumba 10 promote Peace?
Nyumba Kumi aims at building sustainable peace
- Nyumba Kumi initiative aims at building sustainable peace – now more than ever before.
- Decision-makers public servants and security practitioners need to embrace innovative policies, institutional reforms and working practices – based on reliable evidence and analysis – if they are to strengthen their impact on peace.
- ·Nyumba Kumi Community security initiatives will help communities to build on the resources and skills they already have to address their security concerns.
- Community participatory initiatives will build durable links between the community and local government and police structures and enhance the resilience of communities to withstand pressures that could lead to violent conflict in the future
- People’s experiences of safety and security in their own locality can be profoundly affected by national and international policies, programmes, institutions and individuals. For this reason, it is important to ensure there are bridges between national and County authorities, security providers (formal and informal), civil society, individuals and communities – so policies and actions incorporate and address the real concerns and difficulties of local communities.
- Mainstream development policy needs to be updated to focus on the factors that are hindering progress in conflict-prone area. This means ensuring people’s security, improving access to justice, and increasing participation in decision-making – and putting in place fairer, more responsive and accountable governance.
- This will involve empowering people at grassroots to participate in decision-making and in identifying and resolving security problems so that security agencies, especially police, become more responsive, accountable and community-friendly.
5. How will individual clusters be involved in security matters?
Nyumba Kumi Cluster security is devolving security services to the grassroots
- Nyumba Kumi approach to community cluster security is about putting people in the lead and helping them to improve their experiences of safety and security.
- It is an approach to programming and policy, but also a philosophy about what security is, who it is for and how it is delivered.
- Nyumba Kumi community security approach is about helping to make sustainable improvements to people’s grassroots experiences of safety and security.
- It is both about the end state – where communities feel safe and secure – and the process by which communities are helped to identify and address their own security needs.
- Community security initiatives can be used to tackle a range of security problems from gender-based violence and crime to a lack of trust between communities and security providers, inter-ethnic tensions or weapons proliferation.
- ·But it is important to remember that people live integrated lives in which security concerns such as crime, violence, intimidation and disorder are often intimately linked to broader ‘human security’ issues related to people’s health, education and livelihoods.
- Community security initiatives work through local partners to help people identify and prioritize their safety and security needs and bring together communities, police, local authorities and other security and justice providers to address them.